Insurance Verification Requirements
On January 1, 2000, a new insurance verification law went into effect in Kansas. Persons registering for a new or renewing an auto tag must provide acceptable "physical" proof of liability insurance for the vehicle being registered. Acceptable "physical" proof of insurance includes the following:
- An insurance card issued by an insurance company;
- A policy of insurance;
- A binder of insurance (Valid for 30 days);
- A Motor Carrier identification number issued by the State Corporation Commission;
- A certificate of self insurance issued by an insurance commissioner;
- A fleet insurance card;
- For vehicles used in a driver's education program, a dealership contract and a copy of a motor vehicle liability insurance policy issued to a school district or accredited nonpublic school;
If renewing by mail, proof of insurance can be demonstrated by providing a photocopy of any of the items listed above.
The vehicle owner must certify that the applicant has and will maintain during the entire registration period, the required insurance or other financial security required by Kansas law.