Friday, June 22, 2018

Calendar     Contacts     Documents    Parcel Search     Tax Search

Paying Real Estate Taxes Under Protest

The property owner may wish to pay their tax bill under protest, if they believe their taxes were calculated incorrectly or the property values used by the Appraiser are not correct. 

The Payment Under Protest form can be printed from the COTA website or picked up in the Appraiser's office.  Once payment is made, the Payment Under Protest form and tax payment receipt can be turned in at the Appraiser's Office.

You will then be contacted by the Appraiser's Office to set a date and time for your hearing to discuss the valuation of your property.  If you do not agree with the results from this meeting, you may appeal to the Court of Tax Appeals.  (KSA 79-2005)

NOTE:  Property owners may appeal the value of their property only once during any tax year (KSA 79-2005b)  either by appealing the Change of Value Notice (in the Spring) or by Payment Under Protest (in the Fall).

When paying taxes directly


When escrow or tax agent pays taxes