Friday, June 22, 2018

Calendar     Contacts     Documents    Parcel Search     Tax Search

Being Active Duty and not having Kansas as your home of record, allows you to be exempt from paying personal property tax in the state. 

Military Exemption by Federal law:

The Service Members Civil Relief Act, (S.C.R.A. Title V Section 511) prohibits states from taxing any personal property when at the time of application for registration all of the following criteria are met:

  • The individual does not claim Kansas as his/her permanent resident state with the military;
  • The individual's name is shown on the title as the legal owner of the vehicle(s);
  • The individual is in the full-time regular military service of the United States;
  • The individual is absent from his/her permanent resident state in compliance of military orders and the personal property is located outside the permanent resident state; and
  • The personal property is not used in or arising from a trade or business. 

We do request that you fill out a military affidavit at the time of reporting your personal property, we also ask that you provide a copy of your LES for proof of Home of Record.