Being Active Duty and not having Kansas as your home of record, allows you to be exempt from paying personal property tax in the state.
Military Exemption by Federal law:
The Service Members Civil Relief Act, (S.C.R.A. Title V Section 511) prohibits states from taxing any personal property when at the time of application for registration all of the following criteria are met:
- The individual does not claim Kansas as his/her permanent resident state with the military;
- The individual's name is shown on the title as the legal owner of the vehicle(s);
- The individual is in the full-time regular military service of the United States;
- The individual is absent from his/her permanent resident state in compliance of military orders and the personal property is located outside the permanent resident state; and
- The personal property is not used in or arising from a trade or business.
We do request that you fill out a military affidavit at the time of reporting your personal property, we also ask that you provide a copy of your LES for proof of Home of Record.